Generate a Google Maps API key for your Shopify store
To use the Ship Sketch checkout map feature you must first generate a unique Google Maps API key for your store
1) Login to Google Cloud Platform
Go to the Google Cloud Platform Console. If you do not already have an account you will need to create one.
2) Create a new project for your store
- Click on “Select a project” at the top of the page.
- In the popup modal click on “New project”.
- Give the project a name, this can be anything you want. Then click on “Create”.
- Once the project is finished being created reload the page and click on “Select a project” again. This time you should see your newly created project, click on it.
3) Enable the required Map’s APIs
Now you are working in your newly created project. You need to enable access to 3 different Map’s APIs found here. Click on each API (or follow the direct link below) and click on enable.
4) Generate an API key
Click the menu button in the top left of the page and then select APIs & Services > Credentials.
At the top of the credentials page select “+ Create Credentials > API key”. The key shown here is what you will input into your Ship Sketch settings. You can go ahead and do that now or copy it down for later. It is important to restrict the key to prevent abuse. Let’s do that now, click on “Restrict Key”.
5) Restrict API key usage
The key should be limited to only be usable on your website, this will prevent someone else from stealing your key to use on their own site.
- In the “Application restrictions” section select “HTTP referrers (websites)". Then in the “Website restrictions” section select “Add an Item”.
- Enter your shop’s url here using * for a wildcard. For example for the API key to work on all Omatic
URLs the following rule would be used:
*.omatic.app/*. Then click done.
To further secure your API key it should only be allowed to access the required APIs. Those are the 3 APIs we enabled earlier.
- In the API restrictions section select “Restrict key”.
- Click save.
6) Copy your API key to Ship Sketch
Your API key is now secured and ready to use. If you haven’t already copy your new key from step 4 into your Ship Sketch settings.